Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: Bullet seating

Title
    Premium Member

Bullet seating

Question...about to load my first test batch for my 6.5 creedmore using 147gn ELD-M. read best results are about .020 off the lands. Was told a good method for measuring is to seat a bullet long and use the bolt to push the bullet in, measure the case of the case to the marks and subtract .020 and that should be 020 off the lands. Anyone use this method or anyone have an easier way?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Title
    I’d get an OAL guage. I have one from Hornady and use their bullet comparator with it since not all tips are consistent. Pushing the bullet using the bolt sounds like a recipe for getting something stuck or a bad/inconsistent measurement
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I do not resize a case. I do trim it to the desired COAL though. Extremely slightly close the mouth with pliers,vice,etc. Insert bullet long. Snap it onto the bolt. Close bolt extremely slowly. Open action. Do not let dummy round come in contact with the action during extract/eject.
    There is your dummy "to the lans" round. Measure and adjust your bullet seater accordingly. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    What sawman said is perfect. I did it that way for 20 years before I bought the Frankford arsenal tool that’s mounts on a cleaning rod. It worked well for me through the years.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I keep all my brass seperated with a little note as to which gun it was used for,and what bullet. You can use the same brass over and over again as the mouth spring closes a little after the bullet is removed. I also put a blue stripe on it with a marker in case I lay it on the bench with other brass. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2